PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 380?
Thread: 380?
View Single Post
Old 7th Nov 2010, 10:35
Eyes only

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dragon man,

I am not aware of Qantas taking off at MTOW out of SYD, as far as I understand gets to the MZFW well before MTOW. Even westbound I understand for Qantas is taking off 20t below MTOW.

Has Qantas declared a lower MTOW recently like they have done with other types to reduce Airservices Australia charges ?

If QF were to put the same interior into the 744 as the A380, its numbers were to be far worse. Premium seats can weigh as much as 150kg each, the 744 seat in F class in QF are 18 cm narrower and the seat pitch is 12 cm less than First on the A380. Business class on the A380 has a greater seat pitch than the First on the 744. In premium economy on the A380 passengers get a seat pitch in some cases over 1 m, even the normal economy seat is wider on the A380.

Even with higher density seating (i.e. smaller seats with a lower seat pitch) on the 744, they have 143 less seats than the A380 in 4 class configurations (307 vs 450 seats).

cxorcist

The A380 is certified for operations into 45m runways, just like the 744, however a lot of diversion ports do not have gates big enough for the aircraft, a stand off bay is required. Cathay use stand off bays from time to time at HKIA and it is a regular occurrence for schedule flights passenger services at a number of Cathay ports.

Qantas have diverted A380s into the Solomon Islands and Fiji without an issue.

I believe the 747-8 will be the longest commercial aircraft in service, the minimum turn radius of the 747-8 is 52m, the A380 is 50.9 m.