PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BALPA - UK facing shortage of pilots
View Single Post
Old 7th Nov 2010, 10:00
Lord Spandex Masher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mi EASA Su EASA
Actually Lord Spandex £8000 is a very acurate figure for a job at Easy, and yes £30k is the going rate at Ryanair (but I'm off to Easy, so £8k for me, contract already signed!).

Also, how long would you have liked me to have waited for in your ideal scenario? Its been a while since airlines sponsored cadets training, can count on one hand the opportunities that have arisen post 2001 (almost 10 years ago!!!).

Would you rather I'd started a one man strike against P2F and watch everyone else around me achieve their personal goal by paying. Don't think that would achieve much!
I stand corrected ref. Easy. Still that's 8K more than you should have to pay isn't it? Just wait until you become expensive to the big orange, then you'll find the flying and consequently your money tailing off.

How long? As long as it takes really. I'm not talking about sponsorship, although that would be a safer investment, I'm talking about the demand for qualified pilots. Unfortunately because of this P2F crap you have broken the cycle of hiring and now there are less jobs available for the newly qualified unless they do what you do and pay more for less, do you see how you are causing this to continue indefinitely? Patience would have saved you 8 thousand pounds at least.

A one man strike would be as ineffective as me giving up my job so you didn't have to pay, as someone suggested I do earlier! What you all should have done is refused to pay for a job. Then the real job offers would have had to be realised by the airlines. By the way, paying for something is not the same as achieving something.

I'm not blaming you personally for this situation but everybody who, like you, has paid for a ****ty contract for instant self-gratification.

Generally, there will never be a shortage of newly qualified pilots available to airlines. There will, hopefully, be a shortage of pilots unable or unwilling to give thousands of pounds to a multi-million pound airline.

Good. And Balpa should be pleased about that.