PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - That first job up north
View Single Post
Old 7th Nov 2010, 04:39
baron_beeza

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Heading north to find that first job!

I am just looking for the opinions of other pilots and enthusiasts regarding the treck up north (in Australia that is) which pilots make in annual pilgrimages on a yearly basis.

I think it is ridiculous that everyone on these forums seems to be content with the way things work in the general aviation world. Students spend tens of thousands of dollars and many hours of devoted time to getting their CPL, MECIR, ATPLs and so on only to have to make the 'degrading' treck up north to find their first job flying a clapped out and arguably unsafe cessna 210.

Many pilots come back and say that it was the 'best years' of their aviation careers, but I fail to understand where they can come up with such a ridiculous statement about what they have had to put themselves through.

For many, the treck up north involves working at a woolworths service station to make enough money to survive on while they frequently visit the operators of the clapped out cessnas begging for a first break into the world of commercial aviation which for some may never come even after many months of roughing it. For the ones who do score that first job, they are most often flying aircraft which are well past their used by dates and in shocking condition while getting payed less than a hungry jacks burger flipper while living in the poorest living conditions that Australia has to offer.

Many try to argue that loving flying is what it is all about and that they must realise that they are starting at the bottom of the ladder of success. Well this is the only industry where professionals which such skills must start in such degrading positions. Accountants who love what they do, certainly start in lower paid positions when they find their first job than more senior ones but they are still able to live in capital cities in living conditions which are better than third world, the same can be said for architects, doctors, psychologists, dentists, teachers, mechanics, electricians and the list goes on.

Starting out in aviation is certainly one of the most degrading experiences a pilot will have to encounter in their career. The employers of fresh CPLs don't even have the decency to accept a resume in the mail or a phone call from an applicant. One has to make a huge change from the comforts of a capital city to an almost third world way of living to so much as get a conversation from a chief pilot. I fail to understand why the industry operates like this and that newbies are content with subjecting themselves to it.

Any thoughts or comments?
To which I replied:

Yes I have. I am sure you won't want to hear them though.
Followed by a further reply;

More tissues anyone ?