PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Taxation ...and the taxman....
View Single Post
Old 6th Nov 2010, 22:12
PingDit

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I served for 22 years (light blue) and then retired. I taught in the Auggies for 10 years and was then recalled to duty for the Gulf MkII. Anyway, to cut a long story short, I ended up serving another 7 years, retiring at the end of this year. However, my RAF pension was abated upon my re-enlistment to FTRS but I did continue to receive a paltry £50 or so every month from my 55th birthday (3 years ago).
Last week I received a bill from the same taxman requesting £2222.80p as I had offset my personal allowance against my pension. He then sent out my tax codes for both my salary and pension to the RAF who apparently, under PAYE, are supposed to be able to work out exactly what tax I should have been paying.
So in effect, the tax man and the RAF can't work it out between themselves and I end up with the bill.
Following 20 minutes on the telephone with said taxman, I break the news to him that I don't believe I should be paying for their errors. At this point, I'm put through to another taxman who deals with these types of complaint. I've since spoken to the RAF pay bods who are entirely on my side and insist it's a tax office error. I've sent a recorded delivery letter to the taxman telling him it's all his fault and asked him to sort it out with the RAF because he's not getting any money from me!

QED...