PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emirates vs. Air Canada
View Single Post
Old 6th Nov 2010, 20:41
Willie Everlearn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
oblasspop

You seem to think no one can refute your comment that “the Canadian government is denying the Canadian consumer choice”. If you’re looking for a profound dissertation on Canadian Economics you’re probably in for disappointment as this is a Pilot Rumour forum and if you have read many of the previous posts you'd have gotten it by now.

Our governments stance may be protectionist in light of an uneven playing field and you of all people should realize the dictatorial nature of things in the UAE. It's simply NOT a democracy. Canada however, is.

Our government doesn’t deny us choice, in this instance, they may be avoiding or preventing additional choices, but they aren’t deny us choice simply because EK doesn’t get a couple of new Canadian destinations or increased frequencies to Toronto. Tangled up in their official position on this is, hopefully, not just the protection of Canadian carriers but also the protection of the Canadian Transportation industry. Should Canadians be opposed to that simply because they’re being denied additional choice between EK and no additional choice for AC for their international transportation needs?
I think not.

We've lost over a dozen airlines since deregulation in 1986 under Mazankowski. I've been with three of them since then. With my IQ level at, what was it, three? I’m clever enough to understand the economic benefit Canada would realize were EKs given what they wished. That WOULD be good for Canada.

I’d say grizzled’s post #241 is a fairly sound snapshot of how most Canadians think and have little doubt many Canadians would agree with his comments.

I too have enjoyed life and labour in the UAE and Canadian or not, I could easily swap my position and attitude on this whole issue. EK and the UAE have an excellent globalization strategy well beyond the Khaleej. There is nothing wrong with that, other than the fact, other countries may not share that globalization strategy. Canada being one of those countries.

I wouldn’t dispute any $200 million bailout of Air Canada by our government right now, but I’d sure like to see your evidence. As it happens, my nephew was one of the CAs dealing with AC during their bankruptcy protection and he didn't seem to be aware of any 'handout'.

I'd like to provide you with some quotes from a recent Aviation Week? (October 11/10)

From Europe’s standpoint, selling A380s and A350XWBs is more important than protecting Lufthansa, BA and Air France”.
Do we conclude EK and Airbus are in league to break these European airlines?
IMHO, this is also about what Airbus stands to lose if EK has to cancel dozens of A380 orders because countries around the world don’t share their globalization view. If EK doesn't find the destinations it seeks and the frequencies it wants, it could all come crashing down. Perhaps not if you listen to the EK spin doctors.

Most of the European airline sector seems to be caught in a defensive mode. Airlines are trying to persuade their governments not to grant Emirates more traffic rights even as they (airlines themselves) lobby for more liberal air services agreement across the North Atlantic from which they hope to benefit. And to quote Willie Walsh, “Europe is funding our competitors with cheap access to financing. I think it’s wrong that Europe has funded the expansion of Emirates, because that is exactly what the agencies are doing.”
Carriers such a Qantas, Lufthansa, Air France and British Airways say Emirates benefits to a large extent from government support. “We have no level playing field; competition is severely distorted, “ Lufthansa Deputy CEO Christoph Franz says.
Emirates is a cash machine, which drives its European competitiors-which are not-nuts.”
Unlike many of its competitors, Emirates enjoys almost unlimited political support from the local government. Dubai’s ruling al-Makhtoum family wants to continue to turn the emirate into a major financial and trade centre. Having been identified as an important tool for economic development, the airline in general , gets the infrastructure it needs. Emirates has a unit cost advantage of 30% compared to a European legacy airline, not quite as much as the 40-50% reached by European LCCs. But, given that many of the LCC advantages cannot be brought to bear nearly as well on long-haul as on short-haul routes, the achievement is all the more substantial. Because there is no income tax in Dubai, Emirates pays approximately 48% less for labour than Air France, British Airways, or Lufthansa do in their regulatory regimes.

contacted’s post #258 is spot on in terms of EK and its global strategy. Unfortunately, Emirates vision of what it wants globally, isn’t shared by the Canadian government.

You talk about a level playing field and free competition and consumer choice. I wholeheartedly agree with this approach but unfortunately, it isn't feesible at present in light of what's going on with EK. They've created the uneven playing field and some nations are simply clever enough to figure that out.

I'm truly sorry if my posts have disappointed but, the reality in Canada is not the reality of the UAE.

my apology for being so long winded,
Willie