PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What's New In W. Africa (Nigeria)
View Single Post
Old 6th Nov 2010, 19:33
TomBola

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shell's action on long term historic leaks is limited by the government's ownership of the onshore joint venture. You might not know but they nationalised BP's interests which are now managed as part of this JV. Based on BP's performace in the US in the last few years I think we know which company was responsible for the poor infrastructure Shell has inherited
The Nigerian government nationalised BP in 1979. That was done for foreign policy reasons, not for economic considerations. The military dictatorship of General Obasanjo was committed to black minority rule in what was then Rhodesia. Obasanjo's government wished to exert pressure on the British government which looked to be set to lift its sanctions on Rhodesia just before the Commonwealth conference in Lusaka. This prompted Obasanjo to nationalise BP supposedly because BP was about to sell North Sea oil to Conoco in return for Conoco supplying non-OPEC oil to South Africa which was opposed to the Obasanjo government.

If you're trying to blame Shell's appalling record on the environment and human rights in Nigeria on an action which happened over 30 years ago that's a pathetic excuse. Shell is the world's largest company with revenue twice the GDP of the state of Israel.

Tango, it should be no surprisde that on a Shell operation all local taxes are to be correctly paid.
So Shell will be making absolutely certain that all import duties are paid in full on the AW139s when they arrive and that DanCopter is fully compliant with payment of temporary import duty on Danish registered EC155s I'm sure.

I share my opinion of Shell with Alfred and John Donovan and Sir Winston Churchill (amongst many others)

Royal Dutch Shell Nazi secrets

It shares guilt with all the international oil companies for price-fixing cartels

Shell Price Fixing

Shell Spies against its own employees

Shell Sex, Drugs and Rock & Roll