PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas A380 uncontained #2 engine failure
Old 6th Nov 2010, 17:38
bearfoil

I think it used to be "per sob". Soul on board. Each butt in the chair, each time, each belt fasten. I've thought this a long time, but I formed this knowledge years ago, and have faith in it only because no one has corrected me yet, Please do. It inspires faith in me when I fly, so be gentle in one's "disabuse".

The chance winning our lottery is 10(-14) so -9 sounds real safe.

bear, who remembers probabilities are for the living, they are meaningless to those whose misadventure makes them the unlucky few.

iamhives- I think I don't think it was defect. If spline failure at the disc/shaft, the disc migrates aftward, starts to "wobble" (What is the "Bell Center" doing there?). At top speed under Climb stresses (to include AoA issues; inlet air and consequent asymmetrical pressures on the disc face,) simple imbalance can fail a compromised bearing face, imo. The orbit becomes more and more elliptical, stressful, and the failure zone starts at the hub/seam/bearing. Once the splines go smooth, the disc "freespools", increasing greatly in RPM. imo. To be more specific, I think the first fracture was a 90 degree split, radiating outward, until it met with radial and longitudinal imbalances that must have made the disc at least fleetingly want to go in every direction, in chaotic fashion, but prevented from doing so by the asymmetry of the stresses (and leading fractures) themselves.

Last edited by bearfoil; 6th Nov 2010 at 18:03.