PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - indian nationals on fata
View Single Post
Old 6th Nov 2010, 17:05
TiredCRJDriver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JG, I understand your anger, unfortunately the rot and corruption is systemic. The FOs on FATAs are few and far between and I doubt a witch hunt is going to solve the unemployment crisis. Regarding the skill set of these FOs, some are excellent while a few leave a lot to be desired (i.e. typical of the competence levels of FOs found in India).

Reckon I am qualified to make the above observation, being an Indian national flying the A320 in India as a line Captain on an Indian ATPL. My previous jobs included working many long years as a FAA CFI (Flight Instructor) and later as a Regional Pilot, in North America. Years of hard work before I moved into the A320. However I cherish every single one of these years, because I believe I became a better person first, and maybe even a better pilot!

I did forget to mention, I sponsored my own Flight Training, and my US Bachelor’s Degree (read-NO Bank/Family loans) by working on Merchant vessels for 10 years soon after High school.

After 3 years of flying in India it’s time to head back to the US. The small mindedness, pettiness, sense of self-entitlement, unscrupulous, un-professional behavior I experience, leaves me little choice. In India way too much importance is given to getting the job, often employing practices that are not above-board. It’s almost like the get rich quick Nigerian 419 scams! Pity, this country has potential; unfortunately it will never be realized.

We seem to forget that at the end of the day all that really matters is going home to the wife and kids and giving them that all encompassing hug and kiss!