PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BALPA - UK facing shortage of pilots
View Single Post
Old 6th Nov 2010, 12:19
Mi EASA Su EASA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nigegilb and D O Guerrero thank you for standing up for cadet pilots! I can't believe or understand the point of view of others on this forum that bash cadets.

I (as probably every pilot before me) have always wanted to be a pilot since year dot. I studied hard in school, college and then university. When I came out of university, I wanted to start training, so I looked around at the highest quality FTOs (CTC, OAA, FTE...). I am not rich by any stretch of the imagination, but in order to achieve my lifetime goal, the only way to fund training was to get myself an all mighty loan (because these days, there is no such thing as airline sponsorship in the UK). So, I come out of training with CPL/IR, what next?

My options at this point;
1. Pay £5-6000 for an instructor rating and hope for a job (single engine )
2. Pay £7500 for a A320 type rating with EZY job (jet engine ), but struggle on loan repayments.
3. Pay £20000 for 737 classic rating with Jet2 (dated aircraft and expensive)
4. Take the morale high ground and find a non-flying job in a recession (struggling to pay back loan)

Now, I put it to those who criticise cadets for paying for type ratings which of the above options would they pick if they were in my position?

As I see it there is one clear option. I am going to be in financial trouble anyway, so I might as well go for the one that fits my life goal, oh yeah, airline pilot. So, option 2 it is then!