PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas A380 uncontained #2 engine failure
Old 6th Nov 2010, 10:07
Gretchenfrage

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
@Bizman

... and despite dumping fuel, they only just stopped short of the end of that 4000 m runway.

Hmmmm ... we have no slats, half reverse thrust, wet runway, are over MLW and have a No. 1 that we don't know how much residual thrust may still be generating. ..... But, no, you want to hang the SOPs, just get 'er down Bud, and let's run 'er off the end of the runway; and if we loose a bunch of paxs to broken legs, fractured spines etc as we emergency evac them out the slides, and some walk into the still-running No1, we can explain it all later to the press that we just wanted to get 'er on the deck!
OK, Biz, then we will never take off. With MTOW and a abortion at V1, no revs calculated, and slats not beeing a issue, we STILL have to be able to stop before the end. Landing with no rev, no slats, with MTOW should never be a problem!!! Or the T/O figures are overly optimistic.

I suggest you do a grave disservice to that crew that obviously evaluated the situation as fully as they could, and ensured that every one walked away gracefully from a crippled bird that returned in better shape than expected.
If you read well, I didn't suggest they made a mistake, I said they might get a freeze over after realising what was broke on the bird. What I suggested was to reconsider the sops and ECAM nightmare.

Its easier to criticise a crew from where you are sitting now, than to make a good decision from where they were sitting then.
So then let's stop criticising for good. Let the authorities do everything after all the NTSBs and lobbyist went over the accident.
I know the monday morning quarterbacks are pityful and maybe I am guilty of a little bit of that. But we should all be allowed to trickle in our own experience and doubts and fears etc. etc.
I just want to point out my distrust in believing in the holy ECAM and sops in heavy failures. These things need to accept criticism as well and my message is that in this particular case the time issue has not been raised. I believe, allthough the crew did a great job, the time issue was not on the agenda and might have been fatal, as we now start discovering in the aftermath.