PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is it worth Applying?
View Single Post
Old 20th Aug 2002, 10:07
goatgruff

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Matty - yes, go for it.
Barny has it about right, the views of atco - matic et al are unrepresentitive of the profession.

There's no doubt that the training is hard work and highly competetive, and it's definately not the sort of work you can do if you don't enjoy it.
But once you're fully validated and working, there are few professions which match the pay and conditions and time off. Its also one of the few jobs in which you can't take the stress of the job home with you - it ends the moment you walk out of the door.

I'm not sure which side of the job you want - area or airfield work, personally I enjoy the airfield side and couldn't stand the prospect of being stuck inside an area control centre. Working at a non NATS airport, I also do approach procedural and approach radar work which is a nice variation of the task.
Equally, there are many other atcos who have the opposite view.

Each functions has it's own traits, which can make one a busy as the other.

The only thing to bear in mind, especially if you opt for Eurocontrol, is that once you've committed to area control, it's very unlikely you'd have the opportunity to retrain and work at an airport in the future as a tower/approach atco.

I trained with and worked with NATS, and subsequently left to work at another airport in the UK.
Personally, I can't think of another job I'd be as happy in, or one that has the long term security and conditions that we enjoy, and I consider that to be one of the most important factors in anyones career.

Good luck whatever you decide.