PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BALPA - UK facing shortage of pilots
View Single Post
Old 6th Nov 2010, 09:54
fireflybob

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
And if you cast your minds back BA cadet pilots were finding themselves in the RHS of a 707 in their first job way back in the 70s. No-one seemed to mind that did they?
D O Guerrero, Yes that's true - I was one of them LOL

But things were very different then. Often you were part of 4/5 man crew on the flightdeck. We joined as Second Officers and, after the type rating, much of the line flying was observing from the jump seat and assisting with such tasks as getting the weather and/or occupying a flight deck seat whilst the Senior First Officer (who also had a Flight Navigators Licence) did the navigating across the pond. The Captain and SFO had eons of experience and were able to demonstrate a high professional standard. This one also picked up almost through osmosis.

I have touched on this on other threads but what we need, in my opinion, are centres of excellence for basic flying training along the lines of Hamble in the 1960/1970s. Cadets were selected after a rigorous selection procedure and the integrated course of ground, flying and simulator training was second to none. They were training and selecting future airline Captains (not just "pilots") and the course was geared accordingly. It wasn't just a question of making the minimum statutory requirements - the ethos was one of constant and never ending improvement.

Now I am not saying that some of this doesn't go on at the current FTOs but, I think you might agree, if someone turns up with the requisite cash then not many FTOs will turn down the business even if they think the person concerned might not be ideal airline material. Equally if the airlines need pilots then most will accept someone who turns up with a shiny CPL/IR in his hand if thats all thats out there.

In summary, I don't think the comparison between the situation in the 1960s/1970s to the current situation is a valid one.