PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BALPA - UK facing shortage of pilots
View Single Post
Old 6th Nov 2010, 09:36
D O Guerrero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rich kids? Spoilt Brats?
You people, especially spandex masher, really know how to generalise don't you?
When finishing an Integrated course, most of these cadets are faced with almost no option in where they go. If Flybe are recruiting, which more often than not, they aren't, the terms and conditions are so poor as to make it almost pointless to get a job there. I worked my arse of after my training to get a job and I would have taken one anywhere including as an FI or air taxi pilot or whatever - but these jobs in light aircraft and turboprops simply don't exist. So what's left? Ryanair or Easyjet.
And if you cast your minds back BA cadet pilots were finding themselves in the RHS of a 707 in their first job way back in the 70s. No-one seemed to mind that did they?
Don't blame individuals by hurling ignorant personal abuse at them - they are dealing with a difficult situation in the best way they can. No-one wants to fork out tens of thousands of pounds (in my case a lot of money that I worked my arse off to earn) for more training. The options are simple - take that job and pay for a TR or start filling in the Job Seeker's Allowance form to keep Lord Spandex sweet. The utterly ineffective BALPA have done nothing to stop this and neither have other pilots - so please don't blame newbies for something that is beyond their control. Lord spandex masher - perhaps you could have done more to stop it? I don't know, maybe you did. But perhaps its better to find out the facts before you lump everyone together as spoiled brats. Remember how much you wanted to be a pilot when you were young?