PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas A380 uncontained #2 engine failure
Old 6th Nov 2010, 04:25
Gretchenfrage

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
58 ECAMs? Holy cr@p, thank god I left AB! Talking about design flaws RR does not seem to be alone.

If a donkey explodes, you lost it. If it's uncontained and bruises your wing, you need to get your butt down as fast as possible. Who guarantees that you will not lose more than just the leash of No1? I personally would not bother about dumping too much fuel and even less about the 58 ECAM alerts. I would want us down on mother earth as fast as possible.

To me the crew might have been very professional, at least the modern electronic way. But at the same time they must have been very, very lucky.
I'd rather be a little less proficient in handling ECAM, QRH, FCOM, bulletins and all that papaer cr@p and get my plane down as fast as possible.
I'd rather let the engineers and office-seat-cushion-warmer-pilots, as well as all their lawyers admonish me later that handling ECAM No49 according to bulletin No3458, paragraph 2, article 75 would have made their work to cover their asses a little easier, therefore they would dismiss me and sacrifice me as the sole responsible for this failure, rather than flying 2 hours with a badly hurt aircraft of which you have no idea what has been damaged in addition to the exploded donkey, the one that has just quit obeying your orders and some hydraulic driven devices that do no longer function!

I guess after realising and reflecting on the state of his plane, the captain will send a prayer or two to whoever he worships for the lucky escape and next time will do a very quick return!