PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas A380 uncontained #2 engine failure
Old 6th Nov 2010, 03:32
grounded27

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Morrissey

Was sitting towards the pack of the plane and watching the take off on the skycam. Was clearlly visible that what I initially thought was a puff of smoke coming from the engine followed by the bang and a sound of grating metal.

I'd like to thank the crew for getting us back on the ground safely. I've not got through all the posts on this thread, but a couple of responses to some questions:-

It was announced there were five qualified pilots on board, so lots of experience to deal with issues
There were multiple system failures reported and the checklists took an hour to run through, hence the extended time circling.
Was sitting towards the pack of the plane and watching the take off on the skycam. Was clearlly visible that what I initially thought was a puff of smoke coming from the engine followed by the bang and a sound of grating metal.

I'd like to thank the crew for getting us back on the ground safely. I've not got through all the posts on this thread, but a couple of responses to some questions:-

It was announced there were five qualified pilots on board, so lots of experience to deal with issues
There were multiple system failures reported and the checklists took an hour to run through, hence the extended time circling.
The No.1 engine would not shut down and they were trying to close it down by water ingestion on landing
No.2 was leaking fuel, and it was decided to keep everyone onboard until this was dealt with

Please no flaming posts if I've used a wrong word of terminology above, I'm just a simple passenger with a passing interest in aviation.

If anyone has any specific questions then please post them here.
No.2 was leaking fuel, and it was decided to keep everyone onboard until this was dealt with

Please no flaming posts if I've used a wrong word of terminology above, I'm just a simple passenger with a passing interest in aviation.

If anyone has any specific questions then please post them here.
5 qualified pilots = one sucessful one, no big deal usualy on a 4 engine aircraft, would prefer to have 4 less pilots over 2 less engines.

The hour lost due to checklists is a load of crap, most likly fuel dump time oe enroute.

Your reference to #1 engine is illogical, this engine is electronically controlled and will shut down or not based on pilot command.

Think you were given bad info or more likely interpreted it incorrectly.