PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Could this happen: a non-pilot landing a heavy jet ??
Old 20th Aug 2002, 09:29
Eff Oh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
teropa

Funny how its the PPL/Simmers who have never flown a large jet, that say it could be done!!! I am also 23 and have been flying the B757 for 2 years, the Saab340 for a year and a half before that, so I was brought up with flight sim too. It IS different, as good as it may be, it is NOT the same. Often aircraft and/or ILS are downgraded, or simply not available, making CATIIIB approaches impossible. Also you have the weather to contend with. There are limits as to the autoland capability of aircraft, (Not just the B767.) You made the point before I did, that if I sat in an A320 I would not know how all the systems worked. I would however be able to get the beast on the ground, I would still ask for assistance though. Why do you think that a few hours in a sim, not made by the aeroplane manufacturers, qualifies you to fly a B767??? If that was the case why doesn't the airline spend £50 on a copy of FS2002 insted of "wasting" the £30,000 it cost to train me on the B757????? Also tell me I get paid over £40k as a pilot on this type when you could do it for a fraction of the cost????
Flight sims are good fun, but that is all they are, FUN! I enjoy playing on FS2002 downloading new aircraft etc etc. Take this point; I can fly a combat mission into Iraq, the former Russian States, Afganistan, on my PC. I would NEVER dream of telling front line fighter pilots that I could do their job!!! I still say you could not do it.

By the way you do NOT need to arm all 3 autopilots for an auto land. It will do it automatically at 1500ft RA!!!! Also if you did do that with the flaps (20/30nm) and put the gear down at 10nm the GPWS would be screaming at you! As pointed out decending in V/S mode offers no speed protection and is dicouraged if not forbidden in my company. You could use FLCH, but then again Flight Sim does not have that, and you wouldn't know what it does. I am confused by your comment
I'd like to add that I would always go for a bit higher estimation for the APP speed, and if it would regardless of that end up too slow, the situation wouldn't go unnoticed as the plane would start to pitch over 5 degrees ANU early in the approach. I'm not blind you know...
I dont understand what you mean, please expain. Also you will find that most B767s,(all in UK) do not have speed tape. What would you do if you moved the flap lever and this happened........ Aural Alert....EICAS Message "Leading Edge Slat Disagree"????? It happens you know, happened in my company twice last week. What would you do if you didn't get 3 greens? WHAT WOULD YOU DO IF.......................Need I go on???

Eff Oh.