PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas A380 uncontained #2 engine failure
Old 6th Nov 2010, 00:31
bearfoil

Dr. Smith

Good question. If the 900 is laid out like the 700, the final and high pressure fuel pump is mechanically driven through a transmission and a geared shaft from the engine itself.

All the pumps I believe rely on valves and some "spill return". Spill return means in this case the return of excess supplied fuel to the plumbing in front, to be remetered back into the loop. The valves are controlled by electrical solenoids, I believe. If the ignition source is killed, and the fire (the proper one) is extinguished, but electrical system cannot be defeated, I would assume the engine would receive pumped fuel to the nozzles until unspooling is complete. This I would assume presents a secondary fire hazard in and of itself, if indeed there was an external source of (re) ignition. My further opinion is that all the sumps, pumps, valves, filters and controls inboard of the failure (electrical) would remain functional. So spar valve and other interruptions in supply would prevent all but fuel contained in wing lines and pylon from reaching the engine plumbing. I would assume that this remaindered fuel would pass through the system as it was being flooded via the inlet, so there was most likely no further hazard.

bear

edit sharksandwich. My 1991 Volvo sedan has 436,357 miles on the clock. It has had nothing but good care and tune-ups in that time. No noises, smoke or even degraded MPG!!. It sits forlorn in the yard, in excellent overall condition, but no one wants to drive it, they are afraid of it. So much for confidence in "Experience".

Last edited by bearfoil; 6th Nov 2010 at 00:47.