PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cathay Pacific Cadet Pilot Programme
View Single Post
Old 5th Nov 2010, 23:30
orangeboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hey initial vin,

no flying experience is necessary, and even having experience doesn't guarantee you an interview, it all depends on whether or not you can convince them you are a suitable candidate in your application - so do think about what you want to tell them carefully before sending it off

however that said, imo i believe having some flying experience, even if it is only a few hours, is better than none for 3 reasons

firstly, it will be easier to convince them you are serious about a career as a pilot

secondly, you will learn so much more about flying in general

and thirdyly, getting flying lessons should not be seen as something you should do, but something you must do if you are trully set on becoming a pilot

obviously it will depend on a person's circumstances whether or not they can get any flying under their belt such as location and their financial situation, but i think you get what i am trying to say.

But most importantly, don't base your entire career on this program. if you really want to be a pilot, then you will go and be a pilot regardless of if you make it into the program or not. This brings me to my next point, make sure you have a clear idea of how you intend on becoming a pilot because they will ask you this in the interview, if you just say the cadet programme, then it doesn't really show any true enthusiasm to becoming a pilot.

since you're in Sydney, i would go to bankstown aiport and talk to a few flying schools and get a feel for what it takes and roughly costs and the timeline involved in becoming a commercial pilot - take a trial introductory flight and see if flying really is for you - does it live upto your expectations etc. it should cost about 100-150 max for this.

anyways goodluck, the best place to start reading up on planes in general is to use the flying training manuals and Basic Aeronautical Knowledge books that most people use when they start actual flight training, then move on from there.

oh, and its no problems if you wear glasses, so long as you don't have something wrong with your eye, not everyone has 20/20 vision