PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AAA Charters
Thread: AAA Charters
View Single Post
Old 5th Nov 2010, 22:40
Flying Meat Cleaver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good on this CP for trying to educate a few people. But don't take it personally. With 170 resumes you need to make a short list. Back in my GA time I spent much time behind a desk sorting through resumes of potential pilots for my CP.

So to make a short list out of 170 resumes, this is how I'd do it! Straight up, I'd cut the 100 that don't have a 'H' licence (which takes half a day because you are sorting through a tree worth of paper or an inbox of emails!). Obviously in this case the 'H' licence is something pertinent to that particular job. Now lets say of that last 70, 40 applicants have Cessna 206 time, then they go to the top of the pile. Time for lunch! Then of those forty you spend spend the rest of the day trying to find how many hours each one has and whether the experience is charter or hire and fly time. Might cut down the list to 30 by the end of the day for various reasons. Beer time. The next day, and by this time sick of reading resumes, I'd start to look more closely at the 30. By morning tea I would have cut that list down to 15 for many of the resons this AAA Cp has. I'd then put forward that 15 to the CP and he'd look through them and ring those who he deemed appropriate.

Those who didn't get a call would often call the office asking about their application. We'd basically do what this guy has done where required. It was in order to help them long term. If a pilot didn't have hours on his/her resume we'd explain that this is one of the things we need to know. If it was 10 pages long we'd explain that they should cut it down and direct it toward the skills and attributes need for a particular job. We would often get applicants thank us and reapply. Some would get a job simply because they listened, changed their resume (and in some cases attitude), and didn't give up.

So some of the 170 applicants will get angry and say this guy is a smart arse, and move on to look elsewhere for work. Some will go out and get a 'H' licence and reapply. Some will check and change their resume for next time, learning from what this guy has written. What is certain is that there will always be someone willing to do what it takes to get these jobs. Its all about choice.

Thats my say...

FMC.