PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airbus crash/training flight
View Single Post
Old 5th Nov 2010, 19:54
Mad (Flt) Scientist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
@ bearfoil

Perhaps overwhelmed is an emotive term, but the fact remains that the messaging and alerting system is designed with very definite constraints on what it can post and when, because overloading a crew with extraneous information is a hazard in and of itself.

Many "advisory" type messages - typically white, or status, or some other term is also used - are not posted AT ALL in flight. Yet they are an indication of reduced system redundancy, and maybe, just maybe, are symptoms of something greater, though they are not supposed to be. (This accident would be an example of this).

There are even phases of flight where caution messages - which ordinarily would be a very big deal indeed - are suppressed or masked in order to avoid crew distraction. I'm 100% sure there have been cases where aircraft have been lost due to masking of a message.

My point is, its accepted practice, for some good reasons, not to let every system on the aircraft post status messages where they are supposed to be having no effect at the cockpit level. To change that policy would require a very great shift in cockpit human factors thinking.

@HN39

It doesn't even need to be that complex to catch this case. An algorithm looking for a "stuck" - or in this case frozen - vane is rather simple. And I know at least one manufacturer has just such an algorithm on its products, which works quite nicely. I think the vanes are even from the same supplier. As I said a few posts ago, "unfortunate" that AB don't have the same logic. Perhaps they will soon, now ...