PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas A380 uncontained #2 engine failure
Old 5th Nov 2010, 17:09
Raggyman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK, so why are we suddenly obsessing on the necessity to add another (complicated) engine control system to aircraft? I don't understand the fuss - sure the incident we are discussing here led to a situation where #1 could not be shut down, however I question whether this was a significant safety issue? (At least compared to #2 blowing a good portion of itself into little pieces and flying around making holes in things).
Not obsessing, just putting the idea out there, yes it is a statistically unsustainable suggestion, but that isn't why I put it out there.

OK, in this case, they were very lucky, but, what would have happened if #1 had been affected in some way by #2 and needed to be shut down? There would have been a lot of things flying this way and that when it failed.

I don't know that you can say, for this engine type, that we may not see a similar thing happen in the future some time. How many times have particular aircraft types have had the similar failures until an investigation and fix solved and identified the problem. At this stage the investigation is still ongoing and no cause of the incident has been established, so therefore if it was "just one of those things", then the odds aren't very good, considering the limited number of hours these aircraft have been flying with this engine configuration. That is for the investigators to determine. Until then, I don't know that Qantas or Singapore airlines are going to be too happy having their fleet of heavy loaders sitting around doing nothing until it is all figured out. If it was a crack or something else that layed undiscovered then fair enough, but at this stage there just isn't enough information to even say that, or it could be inherent in the design of the engine.

Yes, it does complicate things and yes it targets the one in a zillion chances of it happening. What I am not saying is that it should be adopted and every aircraft should have it fitted. What happened wasn't meant to happen either statistically, but the number came up. What would be interesting to do is some research into, is how many new engine types had problems in the early days.

Agreed it was a pure containment issue, and may never again happen, I guess I was coming at it from the angle of solving the problem of what it caused, and what potentially could have gone wrong, had the containment issue caused other problems than it did. Yes, also agree that the idea may never need to be used if implemented ever again. That wasn't the point of my discussion.

I think someone else proposed the only solution that makes any sense to me - a prominent red hatch on the engine pylon, with a big red "OFF" lever behind it, and long pole with a hook on the end of it...
Why not put a bit of sport in it, and make it like a shooting duck stand, where you have to use a BB gun, and you have to shoot three of them.

Waste of bandwidth... everything is...