PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA: financially, when is it no longer worth it?
Old 5th Nov 2010, 14:20
Dutchjock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi P,

I made the move from EZY to BA during the last recruitment drive. I got my command with EZY at a very young age, but couldn't stand the thought of doing the same thing for another 30-odd years and secondly the 5 earlys where killing me.

I was lucky enough to go straight to LH, and I have to say I love it. As someone said earlier, the nights out of bed are very tiring but you're knackered in a very different way. Assuming you do 4 trips a month, of which half are night flights, you're only out of bed for 4 nights a month.

Being very junior I get what's left at the bottom of the pile, but on my fleet that's still a good mix of trips. If you're a family man and appreciate being at home at the weekend, you might be disappointed though.

As I haven't done shorthaul in BA I can't really say too much about it, but it seems they have to be doing many more duty hours than at EZY if they fly 900 hrs a year.

Money wise in your case my guess is you would probably be better of at EZY

It's a lifestyle choice. Less time at home, more time enjoying work, more control over roster (eventually), choice of fleets etc.

With all due respect, worst case you might not pass the selection, or might not get your command for whatever reason, so maybe you should just give it your best shot and see if you have the luxury to decide?

Good luck with whatever you decide