PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA: financially, when is it no longer worth it?
Old 5th Nov 2010, 13:56
Norman Stanley Fletcher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maverick 83 - you are right, it is way off topic and not really honouring to the genuine questions being asked.

For what it is worth, I am very sympathetic to those who wish to go to BA. There is some deep lingering doubt deep within all of us that feels somehow we have not really 'made it' unless we have made it with BA or our equivalent national carrier. And that is what I would like to address. This is essentially an illusion and has led many people to make crazy decisions that amount to career suicide in pursuit of a dream that really has no foundation. Permafrost ATPL is a sincere guy who genuinely wants to do the right thing. The evidence is simply overwhelming that the right thing is not to go to BA - yet the desire still lingers. He is about to be a captain at easyJet, can work anywhere in Europe, earn vast sums of money and still get home to to his lovely wife and kids. He also will work the 5/3/5/4 roster pattern which is a godsend to any aviator. I do not in any way knock BA - they are a great company with a fine history. If you are 24 then there is really nothing to discuss. If you are 40 then you are potentially making a catastrophic error of judgement driven by that indefinable yet palpable inner doubt which says you have to take BA when it is on offer. I fully understand the temptation but the reality is potentially very different. No company has a guaranteed future - BA and easyJet certainly do not. Nonetheless, right now easyJet is a very safe place to be with fantastic promotion opportunities if you are in the right place on the command list. Why throw that away and deliberately decide to spend night after night away from your family when you do not have to? The argument against easyJet is that no one could keep up that pace for ever - it is no different to the pace of life in SH at BA. From me, it is a no-brainer for someone of that age and stage in his career - don't listen to the voices! I genuinely wish you well, but refer you back to my first point - this is being driven by a completely understandable, but essentially irrational, feeling about what 'making it' really means. You are undoubtedly a capable, competent guy - you do not have to prove that by going to BA. I genuinely would wish you well, but any true mate would be warning you that at your age you could find yourself waiting for an eternity to get even a short-haul command. You need to be careful about being driven into a decision that takes you away from your family and into many years of utter professional frustration. Best of luck whatever you decide.