PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas A380 uncontained #2 engine failure
Old 5th Nov 2010, 12:55
Raggyman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Using RF for wireless engine management could be implemented the following way, to avoid a few of the issues related to it being implemented.

Firstly, you could have an inactive wireless system, in that if it looses the control line or inputs from the normal inputs, the wireless system becomes live. At that stage you won't be that interested in whether or not someone could control or hack the system, because you would have to meet the condition that the normal inputs would have had to have been disabled. But you could have an overide condition within the cockpit if you so wished.

I guess in this incident it ended in a very good way, and thankfully it did, but looking at the photos it could have ended up very seriously indeed. Another thing that it shows is that having the wires in the leading edge is quiet dangerous as well, but where else are you going to put them really. I would have thought that there would have been a few sparks flying around from the severed cables, which isn't a good thing if you have a hole in your fuel tank.

Now i guess really the only other way around this particular problem would be to run fibre optics around as a backup plan down the back of the fuel tanks, well away from the leading edge and away from the engine zone. Trouble is, where ever you are sending that signal to would have to have power readily available. Who also knows whether or not that you aren't going to see one of these types of failures do something completely different to the airframe than it did in this case.