PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nick Xenophon - The most important person in the future of Australian Aviation
Old 5th Nov 2010, 11:04
Kangaroo Court

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Patience Boy,

We are actually the highest paid for our description of work anywhere in the world right now. Honestly, it was a very frustrating week. Some of the said generation are friends of mine that share stories of their kids, are great to have a beer with, will push you to work out hard in the gym' and know that CRM does not stand for "Mutiny on The Bounty".

The ones that are best to work with typically come from flying families or had a very rural upbringing, do things like work on their own homes, engage the local community on their days off coaching a child's sports team...that kind of thing. One thing that seems to be missing from recruiting in a time of computer analysis and human resources psychology is a skill that I can only call, "mechanical aptitude", the cause and effect of each action. Some of the kids just don't have it and if they were raised on the fourth floor of an apartment building in a broken family where they never went outside, how will they ever get it?

The perception with the new generation may have grown out of being sold a bill of goods by the flying schools and universities when many of them went into debt to get a "degree" to fly a Cessna and then realized it didn't mean much but an empty wallet.

I agree with the Senate report submitted by AIPA. We live in a McDonalds Society now...one where much of the new generation expects instant gratification and promotion to captain in 45 seconds with an order of fries, or their money back!

Last edited by Kangaroo Court; 5th Nov 2010 at 11:15.