PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Rotary Nostalgia Thread
View Single Post
Old 5th Nov 2010, 10:23
Savoia

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
VFR: Hilarious friend! Would love to have witnessed your interview explaining the telex comms!

I remember having to act as secretary for Col. Bob in a series of telex messages to a UK based engineer (who's name I think was George Fell or something similar) over 'issues' in Africa but that, as they say, is another story!

TRC makes fleeting reference to Col. Bob in 'bare feet' and I am still waiting for him to PM me an unmentionable story relating to my godfather! Truth is if most of the stories were to be published they would have to be classified as 18+ because the Colonel had a knack for removing his clothes at the slightest provocation - usually to perform one or more of his 'party pieces' which involved brief re-enactments of 'memorable scenes' from fictitious accounts of icons such as 'Scott of the Antartic', 'Julius Caesar' and a performance known as 'Scotland the Brave' to name but a few!

Regarding Colin, TRC mentioned it was the P2 line that broke when the Colonel and I suffered an engine failure in G-AYTF but, I was told that Colin's repeated 'abuse' (God love him) of the wee Allison was more than the tiny turbine could manage in the end. Accustomed to his high performance engines Colin, as my godfather explained, couldn't understand this 'waiting business' after landing and would frequently walk out of the aircraft upon landing and have the Colonel finish up the shut down. When the Colonel wasn't there was another matter - evidently the throttle would make its way from flight to fully closed in one swift twist of the grip!

With the start ups it was ignite, fuel and more fuel, red-lining being the order of the day around the Hethel environs!

Unique and a legend - Colin Chapman

In typical racing driver fashion, Colin had his name enscribed on the pilot's door of his 206.

What happened to Alan Mann towards the end. How did he finish up his days?

S.