PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Could this happen: a non-pilot landing a heavy jet ??
Old 20th Aug 2002, 04:41
teropa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pat Pong,

I knew that someone would soon make the remark about me being defensive on the issue. I'll explain a little further...

I'm not fishing for an unanimous agreement that "yes all the knowledgeable sim pilots could do it, sure...".

Neither am I arguing with people here . I'm arguing the arguments as to why it could not be done. Do you see my point ?

I DON'T claim that I could ever know the same amount about a plane than, for example, someone who's type-rated. Not in a million years (at least I hope so, heh). Nor do I claim that I could handfly one such jet (say 767) for more than some manouvering, clean and up far away from ground. I know that professionals are professional, and it's the same with (almost) everything in the world.

AND like Agaricus Bisporus put it: "But remember, we commercial pilot are not paid to pull off uneventful take offs and landings, we are paid (generally guite well) to cope with the emergency situation that without our seldom used expertise would certainly kill all on board. Fortunately most of us never need to earn that money, but sometimes, just occasionally, someone does. And that makes it all worthwhile. " <<<< THAT I wholeheartedly agree!

But the "need" for such a claim that I (or someone knowledgeable enough) could pull this thing off arises from a couple of things, which I will list here. Also this has nothing to do with pretending to be someone I'm not. It's mere speculation and I think it's interesting enough to "eat up the precious bandwidth" (sarcasm added )).

This topic pops up every once in a while in flightsimming community and I believe the reasons to this are:

- the sophistication of systems and modelling in today's "nintendos". It's quite remarkable...really. The core of the simulation is outstanding and many have built whole cockpits around it. (www.projectmagenta.com)

- the amount of information us (serious) armchair pilots have gathered along the years. It's not just playing, hasn't been for years.

- on a personal note: the fact that I handflew a level-D MD11 simulator succesfully for couple of approaches and takeoffs etc. with no problem. It wasn't tough in "all systems OK" -situation. Of course, in the case of emergency the story would be different.. it wouldn't exist .

- on a personal note: the fact that some PPL owners claim that FS flight modelling even in the smaller planes (whose flight dynamics have been compiled by real experts) is crappy, WHICH I couldn't DISAGREE more. I think that, for example, Ron Freimuth's flight dynamics for, say, 172 is right on the money. So this brings up the controversy in larger airliners as well: there are ATPLs who say that "it's very close to the real thing" and those who say that "nintendos have nothing to do with flying". Again, it seems to be a matter of an opinion.

and finally:

- the reasons to why many just "fly" with computers are various: health, money, family-issues etc. Many would like to think that they have actually learnt something from the SIMULATION of the very thing they would like to do MOST, but can't due to the issues they have. It's got something to do with confidence and the rewarding feeling of "I could probably do that" or at least "I could probably learn that" (!)

My personal opinion regarding the matter is already said. But I repeat it: Given the right circumstances (i.e. fully functional aircraft, OK weather and the simpilot being already familiar with the said aircraft's systems) I think that MOST _serious_ (emphasis on the word _serious_) flightsimmers could pull it off if they kept their cool.

I would also like to REMIND those of you, who now say: "I could ask you a thousand questions that you wouldn't know how to answer" , that _so could I_ (!). Remember that I'm not taking an exam here, especially not the theory-part of type-rating for every possible jet ! No one knows everything about everything, for crying out loud. Point being that there are heaps of knowledge and also little pieces of information regarding different types of aircraft, that it would be crazy to say that if a SIMMER doesn't know it all, he/she's not worthy ! Wouldn't you agree ? Are you aware of every possible modification that has been made for every single jet you see parked next to you in the morning when you toss your flight bag behind your seat in the flight deck. I bet you don't.

I thoroughly enjoy this discussion, but I understand if the Chief Pilot doesn't want it to continue anymore. Although I don't see a specific reason to why it couldn't. I respect everyone's opinion and it's only fun to try to justify one's own POVs and such

cheers,
Tero

Last edited by teropa; 20th Aug 2002 at 05:38.