PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BALPA - UK facing shortage of pilots
View Single Post
Old 5th Nov 2010, 08:34
nigegilb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BALPA carries quite a bit of weight in the media, so it is significant in that "there must be a looming shortfall" if BALPA say so. I think a global shortfall might well be in the offing given expansion plans already announced by mid-east and asian carriers. This could be good news for all, if they have to ratchet up their T&Cs to get suitably qualified candidates from the West to apply. This could result in a response by Western airlines to retain their staff, by improving pay over here.

My first full recessionary cycle in the airline industry, but from what I am hearing over at BA, their assessment is for 6 clear years of profits, (with the usual warnings applied). Many people expect BA to continue to recruit in the next financial year, so things look much more optimistic now than they have for a long time. Toss in the recent changes to tuition fees which could easily result in grads struggling with 70K debts on leaving university and all of a sudden the 100K one-stop route to a pilot qual starts to look like pretty good value.

Maybe BALPA are playing a canny game, by underpinning current pay negotiations! Who knows..?

Last edited by nigegilb; 5th Nov 2010 at 08:54.