PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why are Gulfstream II and IIB so cheap?
View Single Post
Old 5th Nov 2010, 07:39
Hell Man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First up let me just share that the original query by JGSFLA is, in my view, non-genuine!

Moving on .. I had dinner last night with a longtime friend of mine (Florida based) who last week finished up a proposal for an African based NGO which had been offered two GIISP's by US owners for free!

He ran the numbers based on the location of the op and came out with an all inclusive hourly cost exceeding $7,000 - this included pilots, full time mechanics, local living costs etc. on top of the normal fixed and variable costs.

The hourly operating cost plus the fact that even within Africa there are some locations where the GII is restricted resulted in the NGO rejecting both offers from the owners to donate their aircraft to 'good causes' - one a/c had a completely new interior!

To me it would seem that the days of the GII/III are well and truly over - great as they were back in the day they are simply unviable for anything more than recreational flying or airshows - at least that will be the way of it before long!

HM