PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cadetships/do I really have to go north/am I too old or I have kids etc threads
Old 5th Nov 2010, 03:15
neville_nobody

Received 151 Likes on 66 Posts
there are good-news stories of plenty of pilots that get good jobs without heading north and living in an Aboriginal village or on a station.
I would suggest that you are slightly misrepresenting the situation. What you are talking about is a low percentage play. In my experience most people who have been through GA and never left home have been one of three things
  • They had good luck and things just fell into place for them and they never left home
    • They had some sort of inside running like family connections etc
    • They bought or slept their way through the industry or they worked for free

To put an expectation out there that it you can go through GA without leaving home is pretty unrealistic and as I said a low percentage play. Sure some people do manage to spend their whole career in Sydney or Melbourne but that isn't the norm. I would hazard a guess that there would be not to many guys flying Tiger Moths who get walkup jobs with a Learjet operator. I would be putting an expectation on EVERY new pilot that he has to go out in the country somewhere as that is what the majority do.

PS Aboriginal villages as you put it are call communities.

Last edited by neville_nobody; 5th Nov 2010 at 03:26.