PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cadetships/do I really have to go north/am I too old or I have kids etc threads
Old 5th Nov 2010, 02:25
VH-XXX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So throw your stones at me - I'm entitled to an opinion. I'm sure many of your 2000+ posts have been naive at best at well.
You are entitled to your opinion, sure, but be careful not to pidgeon-hole other people based on your experience because the reality is that there are good jobs out there, there are good operators that pay above the award and there are good-news stories of plenty of pilots that get good jobs without heading north and living in an Aborignal village or on a station. For those that do head north or outback, many manage to succesfully take their families along and have an entrirely livable arrangement with great success.

For those that are out there, there are always smarter people that do things better, that's just reality and you need to arm yourself with the knowledge and skills to be the smarter one. That is the key to success, not necessarily dropping everything and moving north.

I've watched a fair number of pilots go from CPL to airlines and none of them have been up north; it's not the mandatory progression and it would be narrow minded to think so.

I won't go into detail about the career of the Tiger Moth pilots before speaking to them, other than to say that they were very smart and used their intellect, plus they worked hard, talked to the right people and made the right choices.