PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cadetships/do I really have to go north/am I too old or I have kids etc threads
Old 5th Nov 2010, 01:58
VH-FTS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
XXX,

4500 TT with a wide variety of background from SE pistons to turbines. Sorry mate, I'm not jaded from missing out on that dream gig. I know I'm not the most experienced person getting around but I do know what I'm talking about. I had to give up a number of personal and career goals to make everything 'work' - it frustrates me when people post expecting to have it all.

I'm sure everyone would love to hear about your buddies who went from flying tiger moths to bizjets - can you run us through how it happened? It would be the exception rather than the rule though.

My post did not cover every possible option for 'getting there', whatever 'there' means for an individual. It was more about manning up and just accepting your situation and making some tough decisions in life.

I remember being in a room of 30 newbie pilots many years ago receiving a presentation from an experienced pilot. He asked how many of us wanted to be airline pilots and we all put our hands up. He then ran through his belief about how many would make it - his words many of us didn't believe at the time.

Around 50% of us finished our CPLs. Of that only about half actually were able to get that first job. Three are flying for airlines, the four others turboprops. I'm imagine the strike rate would be very similar across the country, if not worse.

So throw your stones at me - I'm entitled to an opinion. I'm sure many of your 2000+ posts have been naive at best at well.