PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - thinking in africa
View Single Post
Old 5th Nov 2010, 00:48
AviatorJack

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cheers Ratcatcher!

We were all there at some point, whoever we are. Chilenno is correct too and checking the other threads will give you an insight in what to expect.

As going for high season, it can vary, the weather system in sub-saharan africa is the same but varies for each place you go to. Tanzania's long wet season is usually May/June, so get there at that time. After that business starts to pick up, first the hunters then the tourists. If anyone would like to give some work back in TZ then I wouldn't mind!

If you get to Dar Es Salaam ask around there. Also ask up in Arusha too, the Northern circuit is usually good! Zanzibar is an option and its a great life but not too many jobs but do try.

I can't speak for everywhere else but I would say after new year (Jan/feb). Now I'm not saying after you arrive it won't be easy! You will have to stick around and show your face and enthusiasm (the wages won't always be great to start out with but it will get better). In my experience the guys who get hired are the ones who stick around, no matter what the experience.

Again it is a great choice to make and I'm sure you will love the time you spend out there. All people you meet there seem to have the same thing in common.........adventure. So if you want to have a ride of your lifetime and meet friends for life then go, even if you don't enjoy it you will never forget!!!

If you decide on TZ then PM me, I can maybe help you out!

From one pilot to another,

AviatorJack