PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A319 CDG go-around nearly goes down Sept 2009
Old 4th Nov 2010, 22:50
NigelOnDraft

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
captplaystation
actual wx as being close to ... question why I have mandated an autopilot approach to an autoland assuming not prohibited on the particular approach plate
I would agree with your reasoning provided LVPs were in force.

If LVPs are not in force, then I would not "mitigate" the poor weather by doing an autoland - since I need to "monitor" the autopilot in poor vis. I'd rather do as trained, and monitor myself / colleague doing a manual landing. I'll leave autolands for, as trained, LVPs or "practice" ones in good weather.

I've seen enough "practice" autolands frighten me, largely I suspect due protected areas infringed, in good weather to not wish to play the same game in marginal CAT 1.

So
I have lost count of the number of times (particularly at airports shall we say "less than major") where I have been given actual wx as being close to , but not at, limits,
I agree is an issue - fly a coupled App to Manual Landing from DH and if the references are not comfortably visible at DH, GA and tell ATC to implement LVPs - I'd suggest don't take part in their game and do Autolands without the appropriate protection

NoD