PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - REMEMBRANCE DAY 2011
View Single Post
Old 4th Nov 2010, 22:24
OmegaV6

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
As a citizen of Wootton Bassett, an ex-member of Lyneham, and a regular attendee at repatriations may I make the following comments.

1. Most Wootton Bassett residents are TOTALLY against any "royal" tag or similar.

2. Most Wootton Bassett residents no longer attend the "High Street TV Spectacular" but pay their respects quietly, and with dignity, further down the road, away from the furore

3. Most Wootton Bassett residents do this because they care, not because they want to be on TV or to recieve any reward.

When the honouring of the repatriations started the Hearse would slow down as it passed, we then had the man walking in front, now we have the hearse stopping for flowers. The families - for whom I have the utmost compassion - used to have a quiet, peaceful, meaningful little service at Lyneham. They are now crammed into cars and rushed to "pre-saved" positions.... just so the "press" can have their stupid pictures.

This was, and is supposed to be, a respectful "thankyou" to each and every one who has given the ultimate in the service of their country ... not the media circus it has turned into, and the "renaming" of Wootton Bassett would make that even worse.

Just my views .... nowt else.

WE WILL REMEMBER THEM

Edit : probably not the right place for that .. my apologies for any offence ..

Last edited by OmegaV6; 4th Nov 2010 at 22:45.