PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A319 CDG go-around nearly goes down Sept 2009
Old 4th Nov 2010, 22:00
captplaystation

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have lost count of the number of times (particularly at airports shall we say "less than major") where I have been given actual wx as being close to , but not at, limits, be it CloudBase or vis, only to have the hotshot next to me question why I have mandated an autopilot approach to an autoland assuming not prohibited on the particular approach plate.
I have also lost count of the instances where, at minima, we have on same occasions, seen enough to ascertain our position, but not enough to comfortably disengage the autopilot and wrestle the beast onto the ground, whilst trying to correlate the limited visual cues with some semblance of spatial orientation sufficient to prevent an awesome "arrival".
I have been in this situation often enough that my justification now is simply "it is much better,believe me" and cannot fathom why an experienced guy would wish to increases his workload in such weather, at such a major airport, what was he trying to prove, and to whom?
One thing he certainly proved beyond doubt was his total inability to make best use of the resources at his disposal. "Top Gun" isn't what is required, and wasn't what he achieved.

What is it again ? "a superior pilot is the one who uses his superior judgement to avoid circumstances where he may be called upon to demonstrate his superior skills" QED.