PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Renamed & Merged: Qantas Severe Engine Damage Over Indonesia
Old 4th Nov 2010, 19:56
Sunfish

Received 90 Likes on 33 Posts
1. Can someone enlighten us as to what the alleged "CAT A engine overspeed" is on the RR engine, what caused it and how can it be carried on a MEL and how it can be rectified?

2. It is Fan blade failure that must be contained, usually by a bloody great band of Kevlar wound around the case in line with the blades.

There is no way in hell that a turbine disc failure can be contained. For this reason, turbine discs are made of the finest materials, using the best machining and inspection techniques known to the best engineers on this planet. The discs are on a "hard time" life basis and must be scrapped when out of cycles and/or hours. That is why a disk failure is a big deal.

I hope for the sake of the RR designers that it's a manufacturing defect.

I hope for the sake of the manufacturers it was a design defect.

I pray for the LAMES that it wasn't a maintenance defect. God help the poor bastard whose signature last appeared in the engine log.

3. If "The wiring was cut" was the reason No.1 engine couldn't be shut down, then considering that the engine has FADEC, are there duplicate wiring runs to it? Is the FADEC wiring anywhere near what was cut? How close was the aircraft to a double engine shut down on one wing?

As for Qantas, I think the depth of their concern would have been for the the dollar cost of Three hours of fuel and engine charges incurred by No. 1 engine when it wouldn't stop.

Last edited by Sunfish; 4th Nov 2010 at 20:07.