PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas A380 uncontained #2 engine failure
Old 4th Nov 2010, 16:41
bearfoil

Disregarding UAL and the explosion of #2, we may be at the threshold of safety as it relates to Turbofans. UAL N1 had a crack in the Titanium disc, it disintegrated and crippled the airframe. But for Haynes and the others, all should have died. I use the word "Threshold" advisedly, I don't see anything that cannot be done to stiffen the powerplant.

GE has a monster that made 125,000 PoT in the test cell. As the Fan gets bigger, the limits of Mass and rotational Speed get tested, by man and by nature, hopefully by man first. Heat cycles, work cycles, vibration, harmonics, etc.

In the first thread of BA038, AAIB made note of "Heretofore unnoticed Fuel behaviour". I posted a theory of harmonics destroying the localized fuel supplies with Acoustic vibration at and near the FOHE. Incidence of airflow, if not at 0 degrees to the longitudinal axis of the shaft will create an imbalance in the large disc, so not only acoustic, but vibrational energy has a part to play. One would think because the powerplant is new, and cycles would be a lesser consideration of failure cause, that Manufacturing played a part, though this is just as unlikely. A Bird? What is the Avian environment like? That would have been noticed at takeoff, though in climb ingestion could have caused the explosion. Who knows. The Trent is not having a good year.