PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AAA Charters
Thread: AAA Charters
View Single Post
Old 4th Nov 2010, 12:10
archangel7

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Having said that I popped into AAA mid this year and spoke with the CP back then (I believe there's a new one there). Spoke to the guy and another senior pilot and they were very friendly and it was a good experience.
It seems alot of people visit AAA but no one gets given a spot or taken very seriously. Yet, he advertises on Afap for a single pilot position and then complains about some of the resumes. Why not get in contact with the guys who have popped in and shown they are interested rather then reading through 170 resumes? that can make a massive difference!

I feel for Young gun...As i used to be in this guys position back in the day... rejection after rejection and to top it off a reply like that from the CP can be very shattering and this can lead to depression and all sorts of other things. I don't blame him AND I think it was good for the CP to write up a reply but it was a bit unprofessional and seems to be taking the piss... and it was cut and pasted which makes it even more horrible...I guess you have to take the positives out of the negatives which isn't much but some old CP having a cry.

Keep your chin up YG! You have to follow your dream! and if that is to become a Professional Pilot, working for an Airline, don't let the negative posts on PPRuNe become a distraction. You will notice that not all Airlines require an educational degree as a pre-requisit, rather they are more interested in log-book hours and experience - Eg Rex. A Degree/Diploma may be looked more favorably upon when you are up against someone at the interview stage who hasn't got one.

There have been many Cadets put through the Rex Cadetship and while it is true they will need ICUS time to meet the 2000hrs Total Aeronautical Experience, and 500hrs Pilot In Command requirement stipulated by CASA before they can qualify and are able to act as a Captain, it will be a large load on the company with regard to resources, as ICUS time can only be logged with a Training Captain in the right hand seat. This could be in the vicinity of 8 months per Candidate. The point being, If you were to join Rex now, you'll be on the bottom of the Seniority List, and promotion is rewarded with reference to this list. (Many above you.)

Now for the Advice - If Aviation is where you see yourself, get fully qualified -CPL, MECIR, and complete the ATPL Subjects. (Possibly your Degree) That there alone without your degree from start to finish will cost in the vicinity of $80.000 privately, and a very SOLID years worth of work. Going up North is exactly what I recommend, as it gives you good experience and hours along with discipline. You will meet other Pilot's doing the same as you, who will become friends for life, remembering these people share the same passion as you do.

Aviation has always been up and down, however, the people who don't get the jobs are the ones who aren't willing to move and live in remote areas. Aviation at the lower levels requires a sacrifice to go further. Not only will it be a hard journey, you will have the best time of your life at the same time and will see places that only city folk could dream of seeing. When you build your hours up after a couple of years and apply to Rex or whoever it may be, you'll be applying for a direct enty roll, and not a cadetship. If you were to be employed with Rex for example, even though you will be on the bottom of the seniority list below the Cadets, when it comes time for an upgrade to Captain, you would be looked more fonldy upon as you meet the requirements for the Command without having to do the ICUS which there WILL be a wait for, for the reasons mentioned previously regarding resources.

Rex Cadetship Bond - 6 years. Rex Direct Entry Bond - 2 years. In my opinion, you will get a command quicker by applying Direct Entry keeping in mind that you will have had that remote, Single Pilot experience, along with that Single Pilot Command time in your logbook.

Final Thought - The People in Aviation who can't get jobs are usually NOT willing to leave home and put in the "HARD" yards. Flight instructing at a Capital is only in my view, a way of delaying the inevitable move up North. Remember, Have everything done before you move, that way once you have your hours, you can apply and start flying for an Airline straight away without having to do ATPL subject in between.

This is only my thought, AAA is not the only company. I wish you all the best, as I was 18 years old once, (Not too long ago) and the hole process was very daunting, but very worth while.

A7

Last edited by archangel7; 4th Nov 2010 at 12:31.