PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Low hour expats (aussies) working in Asia Question
Old 4th Nov 2010, 09:20
onezeroonethree

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts
Low hour expats (aussies) working in Asia Question

Hi guys,

Just doing some research at the moment and looking for some opinions of guys who are currently doing this / have done it / anyone who knows about this stuff.

My question is regarding expat pilots in Asia. For example the pilot shortage in Indonesia I have been informed about. I have been told low hour guys like myself, with 200-300hours have gone to Indonesia successfully to become first officers on turbo props.

I have been researching this but I'm still unsure how this would plan out a career for me in the long run.

Over on the aussie forums here on pprunes theres a crap load of negativity towards cadetships such as the J* one... which are not too different from a low hour pilot going over to Indonesia and scoring a gig as a co-pilot in a turbo prop for example.

My question is this: I get a job on a turbo prop for 2 years... maybe 4 or something. I start off with for example 200 TT of which 100 is PIC. After my 2 or 4 years I will have logged co-pilot time... cool...

But where too from there? I may / may not have enough hours for my ATPL and even if I do I wont have as much PIC as someone who would've scored a first job flying a Cessna out of the left hand seat. I guess my fear is in - with this career move what's the chance that you become unappealing to airlines in the long run? What's the chance you end up as a career first-officer with no hope of going captain? Or if I went further on overseas to Europe/Middle East or even back home to Oz, what are the chances the airlines may not want to hire me at all let alone give me a chance to move up onto the left hand seat?

Not sure if this question has been done or not but I've looked through the threads here and couldn't find the information I am seeking.

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks