PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA: financially, when is it no longer worth it?
Old 3rd Nov 2010, 20:19
NigelOnDraft

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As other posters have made clear, there is far more to a shift to BA than £££. But since it is the title of the thread, let me expand on "Time to Command".

Factors one needs to assess/determine to make an educated guess:
  1. Age Profile of current BA pilots. Essentially max 58, then guess maybe an ~even distribution down to ~25.
  2. Average Retirrement age of BA Pilots. Hard to say, but I'd guess at ~62 - majority go on as long as possible, balanced by a few going earlier, voluntarily or involuntarily. But if the retirement age increases further
  3. Change in pilot numbers. Has not changed much over last 15years, and not BA's aim/ability to "expand" much. Slight increase in aircraft numbers coming up, but if they get painted white/orange and red not a lot of use for BA Pilot numbers
  4. P1 v P2 ratio. Substantially <50%, and with any expansion more LH orientated, will further reduce.
  5. How many P2s do not take a Command when they could? Desire for LH / Commuting means this is good number - but pay / tax / Pension implications could affect it.
  6. Take up of Part Time. Likely to increase, and hopefully by P1s
  7. IB factor ???? Do not forget there is not really an airline called "BA" now... it is a subset of IAG, and who knows what, if any, the implications will be for the "BA Pilot Seniority list/numbers"
I made an analysis / best guess before joining BA in 1996, and came up with 7-8 years, and was lucky enough for the numbers to make it 6.5. But when I joined, a new LHR Capt on the then "junior fleet" (757/767) was ~22yrs.

NoD