PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter missing in the Mourne Mountains, & tributes to AJ
Old 3rd Nov 2010, 19:31
ewe.lander

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Dear Angie - an awful lot of good people out there will be feeling for you and the AJ-kinderlings.

Your man was a one off. I did my AAC Pilots course in 78, AJ was a 'new' QHI. you both came to one of our parties at the 5 Bells. Seem to remember he wore an uber cool leather jacket!? You might remember we had the sadly departed son of W-B with us, still wearing his pyjama's under his trousers!! happy days - and AJ was direct, different and refreshing - and great (no matter when some sniffy people said he was too direct - he was invariably right)

AJ went Crab - and he was on G100 (St Angelo) duty one Xmas day with me - I was on the Lynx by then, I came into the crewroom early Xmas morning (I was V grumpy) to find AJ dressed as Father Xmas with a daft red cap on as well....I smiled for the rest of the day (and refrained from nicking the remote batteries) his only comment was 'cheer oop ya miserable yorkshire git....'

Later - AJ approaching G100 "G100, Puma 2 minutes from t'north, G100" some sage bellows on UHF 'Shut up AJ', and for the rest of the day when AJ transmitted the whole of the AAC/SHFNI world bellowed 'SHUT UP AJ', much more satisfying than 'Orange whip', knowing he'd be chuntering.

Like AJ I then went Crab, kept in touch, he was a rarity in the changing Military - someone confident enough to speak his mind and make sure things were straight and right.

Met him just a few weeks ago at Farnborough - he was smiling and relaxed, flying a 109. We chatted for half an hour or more. It all came back to me - the good days in NI, Belize and BAOR.

RIP Mate