PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A320 Magenta Donut
View Single Post
Old 3rd Nov 2010, 10:28
HundredPercentPlease

Received 27 Likes on 13 Posts
Ellsworth,

The doughnut should be roughly correct, most of the time. When you enter the landing RWY in the box, you will get a 5 mile extended centre line with a 3° path (between the CF and the RWY).

Initially, the machine will think you will want to go via the CF, so it will show you as low. At some point as you turn base, it will auto-sequence and will show you your height above the planned path, assuming you turn straight towards the RWY (not quite what you are doing). So it will be close to correct, but if anything will try to pull you slightly low.

BUT

Here are the issues I can think of, and I bet someone more clever than me will think of more.
  • You may not have checked the nav accuracy.
  • The data in the database for the RWY + 5nm will not be subject to the same QC as a proper NPA.
  • You are breaking the Airbus rule of using the dot on final app (not the brick). If it's a dot, use raw data only.
  • The slope you need to fly may not be 3°. Often there is nasty close-in terrain and a steeper approach.
  • The dot encourages eyes-in, when you are flying a purely visual manoeuvre which needs as much eyes-out as possible.
  • What if the dot says one thing and your eyes say the other? Which is correct? Could the dot subtly lead you into trouble?
This may all just be coming from the visual limitations of the sim, where some sim smart arse has come up with a system to help pilots turn base. I would keep smiling, do what they say, and pass the course. But from my experience, I would suggest you fly the last part for real with your eyes out and if it doesn't look perfect at all times then bin it and go somewhere else.