PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airline cadetship vs Traditional methods
View Single Post
Old 3rd Nov 2010, 04:19
The Green Goblin

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You probably did not salute the right people. Many a good pilot has been scrubbed by the military.
Most pilots have to be nomads.
Don't go into GA unless you want to stay and contribute. There are too many "bitching Berthas" already. Most of Australia depends on small aircraft and experienced, dedicated pilots are necessary for it to function properly.
Bushy,

I respect your opinion most of the time, however your constant moaning about GA for dedicated Pilots, not hour builders for the airlines is getting kind of boring.

I understand a few would like to make it a career and that is entirely their choice. I went into the industry thinking I would not care if I never flew anything bigger than a Cheiftain or if I were really really lucky, a Metro. After flying a myriad of piston twins, I could not wait to get out. That was not for lack of enjoyment or boredom, it was the most enjoyable flying I have done (especially the single engine piston flying). While the aeroplanes (especially the 58) are enjoyable to fly,they are old, there is no support, the ongoing training is non existent apart from box ticking at your annual MECIR renewal, and eventually you will probably kill yourself if you continue to fly them.

The only way to grow as a Pilot is to fly bigger aircraft with more experienced Pilots under stricter SOPs and more support. I wish I knew what I knew now back then, as I would have been a much safer Pilot.

As for pay and conditions in GA, well if they were improved and the aeroplanes were modernised then it would be a very attractive option.