PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Can someone explain why the MRA4 has been cancelled before we screw up big time.
Old 2nd Nov 2010, 21:38
davejb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mmm,
according to RECEPTION OF UPLINK DATA FROM SONOBUOYS - US 2010/0110828 A1 - IP.com digital sonobuoy datarate max is 256k, so it rather depends on which buoys you are using.... and, of course, how many you are trying to monitor at a time.

As I've said before, I'm an ex Dry man, so the technical bits of sonobuoys aren't exactly at the forefront of my brain, but I think it would probably be a good idea not to downplay the hardware necessary to replace an airborne Tac team. Could they be replaced by UAV? Yes, of course, throw enough money and kit at the problem and eventually you'll manage it - but I think some on here believe you can do it by just buying a bunch of UAVs and strapping a few extra pylons bulging with sonobuoys under the wings. I really don't think it would be anything like that in reality, I also think it would cost an arm and a leg to accomplish....to end up with a less capable ASW platform.

Dave