PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Vulcan XH 558 Threads (merged)
View Single Post
Old 2nd Nov 2010, 21:06
Mike7777777

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lots of whinging on this thread, bigger picture appears to have been missed by many

In years gone by, there were two main attractions at British airshows, the BBMF Lanc (because it's historical and there's only one) and whatever Harrier(s) turned up (because after more years than I care to mention, I'm still convinced that the Harrier display involves some warping of the laws of physics, particularly the bowing and exit stage left).

The Vulcan has changed this, as per many quotes there are shows with the Vulcan and there are average shows; but it needs to do the thing it excels at: noise, noise and more noise please. If this is accompanied by some minor destruction of the runway then that's fine by me, but how can this be converted to income? Transparency is paramount, to reduce the bickering and negative comments (which may or may not be justified), and - from the limited info available - if Big_Sponsor is not forthcoming then the income from Gift Aid must be the focus of attention. The margins can offer survival.

In closing my pontification, I offer the following from somewhere on the internet:
many years ago my now wife and I stood at the end of the runway at Biggin Hill when the Vulcan took off, not only did it make a hole in the runway from the engine thrust but it made her charlies wobble - never forgiven or indeed forgotten