PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Royal Saudi Air Force - impressive toys, but are they any good?
Old 2nd Nov 2010, 19:31
The Old Fat One

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Jacko,

I worked with them three years ago. As already mentioned, it is hard to compare like with like as the cultural differences (which impact at every aspect of command in Saudi) are just too wide.

On a more practical note, at the aircrew level the biggest difference is one of variation (which becomes so apparent when you try to teach them). The RAF and other Western military air forces have a bottom line/level for each job. An RAF fast jet jockey is going to be some where between pretty damn good and excellent. (I'm not a pilot, you cannot believe how painful it is to type that!). Some Saudi pilots are very good (I know because some pretty good ex RAF pilots out there hold the same view). On the other hand, if the name is right, the dude gets a job, so there is no bottom line and some of them are.........hopeless.

I have no experience of working with the engineers, but again I know some pretty good guys who have and they seem to think without western input, the whole thing would fall apart.

The Saudi ops guys I worked with were what the US used to call "warm bodies".

One thing in your linked article that really chimes. If a western contractor teaches a Saudi something and he subsequently screws up, it is the contractor that is in deep pooh since it will be considered entirely his fault that the Saudi didn't learn what he was supposed too. Given that the attendence on my course was about 80 percent and several guys just turned up and went to sleep (try teaching Saudi aircrew something they don't want to learn during Ramadam), it is easy to be on a hiding to nothing.

In my view, after spending six months out there as a contractor, they could deliver a kicking to a local adversary as long as that adversary has very limited capabilities and as long as somebody else maintains their fleets and weapons.

Their biggest drawback is their cultural rejection of blame and fault. Its hard to see how any society/organisation can develop in that environment, however it should be recognised that they are committed to "Saudisation" and they have ruling monarch who very much believes it is possible. Massive timescale methinks.