PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The RAF and asthma - WHY?!
View Single Post
Old 2nd Nov 2010, 17:14
barnstormer1968

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jonesyboy
The RAF may have lost plenty of good individuals through various reasons, but it is unlikely you would be one of them IMHO.

Whether you are a troll or not, just because YOU do not know why asthma is a no no, then it does not change anything.

Lets imagine you have had asthma as a child (and so it could return under stress etc), and you are in a hot sandy country. You suddenly come under artillery fire, which may contain chemical weapons. Now, all of a sudden you feel short of breath. Is this due to asthma returning or the exactly similar effects of chemical agent, or just plain fear?

You have about two second to decide if you need to make sure everyone else around you fits their respirator (and instantly becomes massively less effective, or lives/dies), or whether you are simply short of breath due to fear. The complication comes when you suddenly realise that if it is asthma, then it is the end of your career, and if its not, then your mates won't be able to count on you, due to you not being able to breath in your respirator due to ingesting chemical agent.

That is over simplifying things, but then why should the services takes risks with a wheezer, when there are plenty of fit folks to choose from?

I know I come from a green background, so am very aware of why asthma is a no no, but any light blue types can find themselves in the same position too.

The military is a team thing, and the 'whole' is the strength, not the individual.

Just my two penneth