PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Payday at Arik Air
View Single Post
Old 2nd Nov 2010, 16:47
TonyWilliams

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
.I am just trying figure out how and why with all the issues stated here that the company seems to still be going.....

Like every company that fails, it will probably operate right up until the day that it doesn't. Like the airline whose buildings Arik now occupies, the failed Nigerian Airways.

It would be great to fix things and turn it around. I firmly believe that the current DFO is a man perfectly suited to make that happen, if it can happen. Certainly there are others who are trying. The 30/30 rotation scheme was promoted by the current B737 fleet manager (his fleet had the greatest loss of pilots of any fleet).

But, the cost to the airline for pilots probably will go up significantly when the 90 hour metric can't be met for the 30/30 rotation. Not good for any company, and worse for a company that doesn't make money. When I flew JFK to LOS a few weeks ago, there were 41 on board. Four of those were our commuting pilots (in coach, of course). Do the math on what it cost to operate an A340 for 11 hours and see how much that leg cost. This company loses a lot of money, and that route is one of the worst.

The damage to the reputation of the airline in the pilot community is not going to be undone any time soon. Playing games with pilot pay checks was and is the singular biggest issue. If they could pay on time consistently for, say, a year, you might be able to argue that "all is well". But they couldn't even do it two months in a row (pay day was a few days ago).