PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Can someone explain why the MRA4 has been cancelled before we screw up big time.
Old 2nd Nov 2010, 16:37
davejb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Elmo,
I think you're being a deliberate wind up merchant frankly, but just on the off chance you really aren't -

your article on underwater topography clearly states in the intro that 'Under favourable conditions...' SAR has the ability to determine what the sea bed is like, in shallow waters, by observing the effect on the surface. Further that this requires a strong current to be present. None of this, in any way shape or form, suggests for one tiny moment that a submarine under the surface will produce a noticeable surface effect that can then be detected by a satellite. Even if it did, the sub would have to be in shallow water.

Mutiple UAVs - yes, although I'm far from convinced by it ... I think the costs, once you added the need for a satellite data link and a ground station for operators to man would probably get pretty big, all for a system that at the end of the day was less flexible when compared to an airborne tac team on an MPA. Considering that the MPA and crew can change role in minutes to SAR, ASUW, anti drug and all the other roles the Ninrod has performed I just don't see multiple UAVs as the answer.

(Unless of course you paint them red, and perhaps fly 9 of them at a time? After all, you can shove a dummy cockpit and pilot on to make folk think they're manned....)

I still think we need an LRMPA.
Dave